Saturday, March 25, 2006

Anniversary

Rejoice with me, my siblings. Today, the Feast of the Annunciation, is the 25th anniversary of my ordination as a Deacon. I still remember Bishop William Sanders (still living, God bless him) laying hands on me. I grew up in East Tennessee, and I remember what would happen in the church that night if I was slain in the Spirit. Good Southern Baptist cousins were there, proud of me even if they didn't understand why we did things the way we did. I remember still feeling anxious and uncertain as I made the table for the Bishop. I still remember it was a wonderful night.

Thanks, Lord, for all these years working with the question, "Lord, what do you want me to do now?"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Marshall! What a wonderful anniversary. I gather the Holy Spirit has blessed your ministry mightily since that day. I am glad you are serving as a chaplain and touching the lives of people in need.

My diaconate ordination was barely six months ago. I too remember feeling nervous about setting the table. Heck, it still makes me nervous! (I don't get to do it all that often.) It's wonderful when we can still feel awestruck about things that really should strike us with awe.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations brother!!! God's blessings.