Sunday, April 01, 2007

See This Film

I have been “Into Great Silence.” I could, I suppose, have said, “I have seen ‘Into Great Silence;’” but that would not have conveyed the experience. It is a meditative experience, sort of an afternoon’s silent retreat.

“Into Great Silence” is a documentary, a film recording glimpses, visions, and portraits of life in Le grand Chartreuse, the motherhouse of the Carthusian Order. The Carthusians live a life of contemplation and study, punctuated by the opus dei, the cycle of Offices and Eucharists. Each monk spends almost all his time in his cell, seeing other monks only at the Offices, and on Sundays, when they share lunch, their only community meal, and have time for recreation and conversation. Choosing to avoid “unnecessary speech,” and living so much of their lives in isolation, they live largely in outward silence. And yet through the movie it becomes clear their lives are full and joyful.

I highly recommend this movie if you haven’t seen it. I have two caveats:

  • First, this is not a date movie. It is not about plot; there is none. It is not about action or dialogue, because there is little enough of those, either. It is about sharing in some small way in their lives, including in the contemplative experience, to the extent one can in a movie theater. It you have experienced and enjoyed a silent retreat, or participating even for a brief stay in the rhythm of monastic life, you will have some sense what to expect.
  • Second, this really should be seen in a theater. I can’t imagine this will have the same feel to it if you wait for it to come out on DVD and watch it on your couch or your bed, hearing in the background all those small and familiar sounds of your life. Go to a theater, get out of your world so that in some small way you can get into theirs.

But do go. The experience is engrossing and compelling. I am not called to that life – blessedly few are – but I feel I have glimpsed the power of that vocation for those who feel it. Go and see for yourself. It’s worth it.

1 comment:

jsd said...

Thank for sharing - I checked out the trailer will definetely have to see it