Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Brief Thoughts of the Season

I have been addressing Christmas cards. Wishing everyone a Happy Christmas and a Blessed New Year has focused one of my continuing questions. I think that if we are to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy Easter, shouldn't we also have greetings appropriate to the other seasons of the Church Year? I think we should hope for everyone an Anxious Advent (or perhaps Anticipatory, but that’s a bit much); an Enlightened Epiphany; a Lousy Lent; a Horrible Holy Week; an Aspiring Ascenciontide (which could also, I suppose, be Anticipatory; but it’s still a bit much); and a Patient Pentecostide (or Persistent or Perduring or – too many P-words, I fear).

So, the time will come soon when I do wish readers a Merry Christmas. For now, I hope you’re having an Anxious, Anticipatory Advent. (Gee, it works better than I thought!)

3 comments:

Reverend Ref + said...

That's great! I'll have to remember that.

Is there a "P" word for a really long time? Since it would seem that Pentecost often appears to be the Season-That-Never-Ends.

Marshall Scott said...

Well, Rev, I also thought about Perpetual; but since we do hope for an end to time, that's not exactly right. Anyone else have any thoughts?

Reverend Ref + said...

Maybe a Protracted Pentecost would cover it.