Thursday, November 08, 2012

Reflection for the Day 11-8-2012

A woman stopped me in a parking lot this morning. She wanted money for gas. I gave her some. She wanted a little more "for milk for the children." I gave her a little more.

I had two concerns that were both in my mind. One was whether I'd actually done her good. I couldn't know whether she would use the money well or poorly. I might be sustaining a vicious habit, ultimately harming her. Sometimes, we're told, better to say no and press the person to seek help from an agency that can provide access to more resources. So, one thought was to wonder whether I was helping or harming her.

The second thought was whether in the process I'd been cheerful enough.

1 comment:

Cap'n Salty said...

Maybe you will see her again and be able to refer her.