Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Political Thought for the Day (1.25.12)

If we want progressive government, it is not enough that we have a progressive president (even so moderate a progressive as President Obama). It's not even required.

If we truly want progressive government, we need a progressive Congress. More specifically, we need a 2/3 majority in both houses - 292 or more in the House and 67 or more in the Senate.

Think what that would mean. If President Obama is re-elected, he has an overwhelming majority, and especially one that can resist a filibuster in the Senate. If President Obama is not re-elected (heaven forefend!), that is a majority that can not only resist a filibuster, but can override a presidential veto.

And note that I haven't associated this with a specific party. There are some troublesome regressive Democrats; and there are certainly out there some progressive Republicans (well, at least there used to be). The issue isn't party, but progressive goals.

So, if we want progressive government, we need a progressive Congress. And it's time we focused on that. The regressives learned this long ago; which explains why we have the Congress we have today.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of the reasons I'm glad I don't go to church is that I don't have to pretend to pay attention to someone who claims that Someone Almighty votes exactly the way he does.
Leave the politics out. If I want politics, I'll go to a political site.
You don't know any more than anyone else. Your weird clothes and dog collar give you no authority at all.
You and the Fundiegelicals deserve each other.

Marshall Scott said...

Oh, you don't have to pay attention to me, either - which makes me kind of curious why you did.

You know, mine is an opinion blog. Some of my opinions are political. If you don't like mine, well, you're within your rights.

As for how God votes: God doesn't, God being God and all. On the other hand, those of us who do believe do feel some obligation to let faith shape our vote. If that's what you mean by "You and the Fundagelicals deserve each other," then I would agree. If what you mean is that you think I agree with those who think a specific religious tradition should be enshrined in law and required of all folks, then you haven't read my stuff.

If you want to go to a political site, I hope you find one that suits you.