Tuesday, April 11, 2006

"So that no one might boast in the presence of God"

“But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong; God chose what is low and despised in the world, things that are not, to reduce to nothing things that are, so that no one might boast in the presence of God.” (1 Corinthians 1:27-29)

I have been thinking about these verses since I celebrated the Eucharist today. I thought about it particularly when I was reviewing Thinking Anglicans and the many comments on what may or may not happen in the Episcopal Church.

One of the themes that keeps coming up in those discussions is leadership, and specifically the leadership shown, or according to many not shown, by Rowan Williams and Frank Griswold. Why do they seem so passive in the face of provocations from the conservative leaders, and especially those who choose to violate tradition and canons of the Council of Nicea and actions of the 1998 Lambeth Conference to cross diocesan boundaries? The others (Reasserters? Conservatives? Orthodox? Since I consider myself Progressive, sometimes I say “Regressives.”) make so much noise, and seem so aggressive and confrontational. Why do Rowan and Frank seem so quiet, so passive?


“But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong; God chose what is low and despised in the world, things that are not, to reduce to nothing things that are, so that no one might boast in the presence of God.”

I am not myself comfortable when the leadership of the Episcopal Church seems so silent in the face of confrontations, and even apparent betrayals by some of our own bishops. At the same time, I see those betrayals, and the larger actions of organization and consolidation and calls to “walk apart” as just the sort of power politics and power media that are the common currency of this world. How many times have I heard – how many times have I said – this is all a big power play. If it is that, then a Newtonian equal but opposite power play is still the common currency of this world. It is not the model that we have in Christ.

I fear in these days for the Episcopal Church. It may indeed not be here in a few generations. It will certainly be injured by these power plays and these militant acts. It will certainly be changed. I am not comfortable as my Church remains quiet in the face of these attacks on us, and on our commitment to include all Christians in all the ministries we have in Christ. I sometimes long to see a strong response, a response that claims and proclaims and calls to arms. But I have to recognize that I may be thinking as the world thinks, and not as God things. I have to recognize this week of all weeks that such a response is not what we see in Christ, and is not, ultimately, what will save this Church.


“But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong; God chose what is low and despised in the world, things that are not, to reduce to nothing things that are, so that no one might boast in the presence of God.”

No comments: