Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Where Have All the Scholars Gone 2: The Anglican Communion Listening Process

Yesterday the Anglican Communion Office has released “A Study Guide For use at the Lambeth Conference 2008 on: The Process of Listening to Gay and Lesbian people and Mutual Listening on Human Sexuality.” You can read it here (and thanks to Thinking Anglicans for sharing this).

The “Study Guide” is actually a framework and set of guidelines for those interested to contribute to the development of “a Study Guide to assist the bishops at the 2008 Lambeth Conference.” One aspect of this is very important. On the first web page is the note, “All are encouraged to participate.” A detailed reading of the following pages reiterates and expands on that concise statement, emphasizing that anyone can contribute, that personal experiences are as important as academic treatises, that all contributions will be part of the process (although not necessarily quoted in publications), and that efforts will be made to make the process a “safe space” for all contributors.

I would certainly encourage anyone and everyone to participate. However, I have also written of the importance in the Anglican Tradition of listening to our scholars. With that in mind, I have sent the following email to the Dean of the seminary from which I graduated some 27 years ago. If this seems a good idea to you, I hope you will write a similar letter to the seminary dean of your choice.

The Very Rev. Dr. William S. Stafford
Dean of the School of Theology
University of the South

I am writing as an Alumnus of the School of Theology, and as a priest of the Episcopal Church concerned about the current controversies in the Episcopal Church and the Anglican Communion. I had the pleasure of speaking with you this past summer at the General Convention. I appreciated your willingness to hear the thoughts and suggestions of a graduate. I appreciate your time in reading this now.

I am sure you are aware that the Anglican Communion Office has released “A Study Guide For use at the Lambeth Conference 2008 on: The Process of Listening to Gay and Lesbian people and Mutual Listening on Human Sexuality.” I consider this to be an invaluable opportunity for all across the Communion to contribute to the Listening Process, and to the efforts throughout the Communion to maintain our unity in a way that expresses the Gospel promises of welcome and justice for all God’s people.

One characteristic of the Anglican tradition that I remember well from my hours with Don Armentrout and Robert Hughes is our willingness to listen to our scholars. From Henry’s consultation with Thomas Cranmer, through the shaping of the tradition by John Jewel and Richard Hooker, and the work of the translators of the King James Bible, we have looked to our best academic and scholarly minds to shape and guide our considerations of Scripture, Tradition, and Reason.

In that vein, as an alumnus I would hope that every member of the faculty of the School of Theology would make some meaningful submission to the development of the Study Guide. Each member, writing in her or his area of expertise and interest, would be offering an important contribution to the work of the Communion, and to the growth of the Listening Process at home and abroad.

I would also hope the School of Theology would publish those contributions, in print, electronically, or both. I believe that entirely too much of the “discussion” of issues of ecclesiology, scriptural hermeneutics, theological anthropology and human sexuality, and liturgical theology and marriage have been driven far too often by emotion, and not by the Reason that we so greatly value. (As a blogger, I must accept my own share of the guilt for that fact.) Materials from one of the seminaries of the Episcopal Church would offer important and more rational voices to our Church’s conversations.

I appreciate your consideration of my hope. I have been proud of the foundation I gained at the School of Theology for my vocation. After 27 years I remain a priest committed to and enthusiastic about my vocation. I continue to be proud of my seminary. I think I would only be more proud to know that my seminary had so contributed to the best thought and the best work of the Episcopal Church and the Anglican Communion.

Marshall Scott, M.Div, BCC
Theology, ‘80

No comments: