Monday, April 07, 2008

Getting Ready for Anaheim: Commission on Health

As I write this, I'm on my way home from a meeting of the Standing Commission on Health of the General Convention. I have written before that the General Convention in 2006 reestablished the Commission as part of an extensive reorganization of Convention Commissions. Actually, it was reauthorized in 2003; but in 2006 they also approved a budget, which makes a big difference.

Mind you, it wasn't a big budget, and so this may be the only face to face meeting between Conventions. So, Commission members and invited guests like me discussed what issues the Commission might address in 2009, both in their Commission report, and also in resolutions.

There were many ministries discussed, addressing many different facets and issues in health care. Some seemed suitable for resolutions and simply for inclusion in the report. Some seemed to be more in line with the mission and resources of another commission or committee. Some we just weren't sure how to deal with, as valid as the concerns might seem. Issues that seemed within the mission of the Commission were delegated to various persons, both members and guests, for further work. I have some work to do myself on universal access to health care, and on care at the end of life.

Which brings me to you, faithful reader. What are the issues that you might want the Standing Commission on Health to address? I'm not a member of the Commission, but I know who to call. And if perhaps it doesn't really fit within the mission and resources of the Commission, I know how to pass the word along.

So, tell me what you think. What should the Commission on Health address at the 2009 General Convention? I can't wait to hear your ideas.

No comments: